The Cookeville Depot was built by the Tennessee Central Railroad in 1909. It served as a passenger train until 1955 and as a freight depot afterwards. Aftet the TCR went out of business in 1969, the building was used by the L&N for freight and storage. In 1973, the L&N scheduled the depot for demolition. Concerned citizens arranged for the building to be purchased by the City of Cookeville. In 1985, after a careful and complete restoration, the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places, and it is now the home of the Cookeville Depot Museum.